Menu

Rathotep's Big Ol' List of Suggestions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile gravatar of Rathotep Rathotep 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile gravatar of Rathotep
    Rathotep
    Participant

Here’s a big list of suggestions I’ve posted on the Conan Exiles RP forum. You can find the post here but I’ll post it verbatim onto this forum as well for your perusal.

Rathotep
    Participant

The Ritual Circle

The upcoming sorcery system has me very excited. Though there’s been very little news about how it works, I couldn’t help coming up with some ideas based on my knowledge of the Conan universe and its subtle, sinister sorcerers. Since most activities, skills and crafts in Conan Exiles require some kind of crafting station, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to decorate our dark dungeons with a suitably sorcerous furnishing: the Ritual Circle.

Archaic runes of dark power are inscribed into a stone plinth, flanked by two incense bowls. In front of the plinth is a book stand holding a beat-up looking tome bound in leather, preferably made from human skin with a stretched-out Necronomicon-esque face of anguish. The Ritual Circle, if were to be employed, would be where sorcerers would make use of the Corruption they’ve acquired while delving into tombs, dungeons and caves. While Corruption is the resource, however, the Circle will require fuel, like other crafting stations. The fuel for this station will be the Black Lotus.

The Black Lotus is the drug employed by sorcerers around the world to place themselves into a death-like sleep, allowing their minds to slip into the Outer Dark and commune with the unspeakable powers that reside there. To employ it in Conan Exiles, it will need to be added as a gatherable resource, growing near a water source perhaps like Yellow Lotus already does. If the Circle is equipped with Black Lotus and switched “on”, the incense burners will generate a sickly black-green smoke and the player will gain access to a variety of spells of summoning, necromancy, enchantment and transformation. These spells can perhaps be inscribed into one-time-use scrolls and taken with the sorcerer out into the wastes. While casting any of the spells bound to these scrolls, however, the player will be unable to move for a short duration, similar to how the player becomes immobile and vulnerable while conjuring an Avatar.

For instance, conjuring a demon will leave the player immobile wherever he has chosen to hide, and the player can then take control of the conjured entity directly. There is a time span, however, and when time has run out, if the demon has not been slain, it will seek out the sorcerer directly for revenge, ignoring all other threats. The sorcerer may also break control of the demon if he perceives that a threat is nearby his helpless body, but doing so will also cause the demon to seek him out directly. Transforming into a werehyena will have a similar effect, allowing the player to assume control of a powerful entity, with the added bonus of not leaving himself vulnerable. Instead of having a limited timespan, however, perhaps being transformed would cause the player’s health and stamina to gradually become consumed by Corruption. The longer he is transformed, the more vulnerable he will be when he returns to normal, and if he lingers too long in his bestial form he could die outright.

The Ritual Circle can and must be upgraded, just like the altars of the various gods. In order to access the full array of spells and rewards, one must upgrade their Circle to the third tier. In order to upgrade the Circle, apart from needing the proper raw building materials, one must collect Dark Scrolls. Dark Scrolls are scraps of knowledge found by harvesting the corpses of monsters killed in places where Corruption affects the player. Undead would drop it commonly when harvested, however imps may also have a rare drop.

The Summoning Circle will also be a conversion station for Thralls to become Undead Thralls. The process would be long and tedious, however, and how many Thralls may be converted at once will depend on the tier of the Circle.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile gravatar of Rathotep Rathotep.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile gravatar of Rathotep Rathotep.
    1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Rathotep
    Participant

Summoner’s Robes

A personal suggestion of mine is that, when sorcery comes round, there should be attire available to players befitting of a practitioner of the Dark Arts. I would enjoy any old kind of robe, but the one I drew up in HeroMachine has an open, flowy look to it, as I picked up that Funcom likes to put clothes in Exiles that showcase their lovely, realistic cloth-motion system. So with this robe, there would be lots of pretty billowing and it would not clip through the player or look as though it would constrict movement. It would be a chest piece item, of course, used in conjunction with any number of leg, hand, foot or head items. It would be crafted at a Ritual Circle using silk, twine and human flesh and can only be crafted if the player possesses the proper Corruption level.

OPTIONAL:

The robe can exhibit an active effect on the player, both a benefit and a detriment (as is often the case with magic). Wearing the robe can perpetually keep the player at a certain Corruption level, leaving him unable to replenish his health and stamina past that level regardless of Corruption usage or how long he stays in the vicinity of an entertainer thrall. It would, essentially, be “useless” Corruption, serving only to permanently lower his health and stamina. However, on the flip side, while crippling the sorcerer physically it would also imbue him with an unnatural vigor, increasing his health and stamina replenishment rate noticeably.

1+

Rathotep
    Participant

Purple Lotus Poison Bomb

The paralytic effects of the Purple Lotus Poison can cause a grown man to keel over, completely unable to move. Perhaps in Conan Exiles, the Purple Lotus could be added as a gatherable resource near water sources like the Yellow Lotus and Black Lotus, and distilled into glass ampules or globes, perhaps the same kind used to make dyes. This would create a projectile area of effect weapon, a shatterable glass “bomb” of Purple Lotus poison.

It could use the same trajectory mechanics as the bow or crossbow, albeit with much shorter range and a higher arc. However many ampules of the poison are in your inventory will account for how much “ammunition” you have, however no firing weapon (like a bow) will be required. Instead, one equips the ampule stack into their hotbar, and throws the ampule at their desired target.

A direct hit will cause most human NPCs up to T3 to become unconscious, just as a truncheon would do, with T4, named NPCs, and players requiring more than one direct hit. An area of effect hit will cause those caught in the blast to slow down considerably for a short time frame (around 5 seconds) similar to how being poisoned by a spider’s projectile would slow the player. Large animals, like rhinos and elephants, cannot be knocked unconscious without an inordinate amount of hits, necessitating multiple attackers with a good supply of poison.

The purple lotus bomb would be created at a Firebowl Cauldron using a glass flask and 10 distilled purple lotus extracts. 1 purple lotus extract can be created by cooking 20 purple lotus meal in the Firebowl Cauldron.

Rathotep
    Participant

Cosmetic Building Blocks

One thing Conan Exiles is really lacking is cultural ammenities and “pretty” building materials. There’s some stuff: the wall lanterns, though they don’t yet work, Stygian braziers and banners, tapestries and carpets… But the scope is a little limited at the moment, understandably so considering we are in early access, and player buildings have an unfortunate tendency to have the same, ubiquitous, ramshackle appearance of simple clay brick adobe structures.

My suggestion is to spice things up with cosmetic building blocks. Building pieces and building materials that are primarily intended to look nice or reflect a cultural lean.

ONION DOMES-

Arabesque onion domes are a common sight throughout the Middle-East and are associated with the high adventure and romantic depictions of Arabia Robert E. Howard grew up with, and much of that mystic and inspiration went into the creation of Conan’s world. While I understand adding in round walls would be difficult, one doesn’t necessarily need round walls to accomodate onion domes. The Taj Mahal for instance…

A mostly cubical structure with a large spherical dome to crown it. Here are some more pictures of the same setup:

Those domes appear to be connected to octagonal towers.

Not sure where this cartoony image comes from, but the structure this dome is attached to perfectly resembles the simplistic adobe style of Funcom’s stonebrick and sandstone building materials.

Onion domes could be a decorative roof-type piece that, rather than being comprised of segments like the triangular roof pieces, would be of a set-size and would snap onto the top of a structure capable of accomodating that size. Underneath the dome could be a square, hexagonal, octagonal or what-have-you portion to adapt to whatever roof the dome is being placed on.

WALL DECORATIONS –

The interiors of buildings are presently a little bland-looking, and while things like tapestries and banners do liven up the mood a little, it can look a little barren and uninhabited. My suggestion is to add a form of cosmetic building structure that snaps on to walls, similar to how fence foundations can snap on to the surface of regular foundations to give them a little decoration. Wall-decorations could constitute a wide variety of things… frescos, paintings, borders inscribed with runes or heiroglyphics that run across the length of the room. I hate to cite Minecraft, but you can find many examples of what I mean there. From decorative “special” sandstone blocks inscribed with glyphs, to flat painting textures placeable over walls. Dividing these decorations into cultural categories would further diversify the game and make each of the races seem a little more than just a random option you pick at the character creation screen.

PILLARS AND COLUMNS-

Even the highest tier building material at the moment, reinforced stone, has pretty crummy looking pillars. When I started playing the game I was expecting t1 pillars to look like what t3 actually looks like, and t3 pillars to look like something I would actually want as the centerpiece for a room.

Pillars are meant to inspire awe, they’re meant to tower above and draw the eye up. Presently they don’t really do that, they just blend in to the scenery at best, or at worst stand out as an eyesore. Improving the appearance of pillars, or alternatively, adding in new types of pillars that look nicer, would be great. Perhaps even having a round, Corinthian variety for our Greco-Roman Hyborian players.

NICER BUILDER MATERIALS-

I suppose that brings me to my last cosmetic suggestion. “Prettier” building materials! It’s difficult to convey a sense of artistry, immensity or importance to a building made of plain sandstone bricks. A temple or a palace deserves sleek black marble, or white for Hyborians! Perhaps the white stone texture that the NPC Set-village is made of to the… I want to say northwest of the map?

1+

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Joining This Server

Recruitment Status: Open

Application Process:
Register on this site.
Fill out an application in the thread. [link]
Accept Steam friend request from Cyruskring.
Receive Steam Group invite and password.

Server Contributors

We would like to very warmly thank everyone who has contributed to the server donation fund!